[Python-3000] Code working in both 2.x and 3.X

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Fri Jan 12 01:00:56 CET 2007

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 1/11/07, Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:

>> I thinking that the 3.0.X version be considered a try it out (alpha) release to
>> generate plenty of feed back, and the 3.1.X version be the first version meant
>> for actual development use.

I did list "plenty of feedback" as a purpose of 3.0. ie... "builds on 3.0."
included that in my mind.

>> Version 3.0  ->  a (relatively) clean start with big changes.
>>
>> Version 2.6  ->  may take into account things in version 3.0.
>>
>> Version 3.1  ->  builds on 3.0 and may take into account version 2.6

> This last line is news to me, and I'm not in favor of it. My plans for
> 3.1 are different -- to take into account user feedback on 3.0.

Should have been a "if needed/where desired" on that last line.

Just thinking that some things in 2.6 may influence how some things in 3.1 are
decided on.  That might refer to issues of conversion programs and or utilities,
etc..

I think maybe the main idea was each version may take into account an earlier
release, but not be overly concerned with a not yet released version.  The order
of the releases will allow for things to be done without trying to predict the
future.

(But in actuality there is no clear lines of separation, is there?)

On python-dev...

 > On 1/11/07, James Y Knight <foom at fuhm.net> wrote:
 >> > If the goal is really to have Py 3.0 be released later this year,
 >
 > 3.0 alpha is scheduled for this year.  3.0 final is not scheduled till
 > next year, and of course another level of tweaks will have to be made
 > after it's been in the Real World for a few months, so it won't fully
 > stabilize until 3.1 or 3.2.  That gives 1 1/2 - 2 years if you want to
 > target "production-level" 3.1.  Also, major parts of the 3.0 core have
 > not been written yet, so it remains to be seen how realistic the
 > schedule is (or how radical the changes will be if the schedule is
 > kept).

This works out to basically what I was describing in any case I think.

Cheers,
    Ron