[Python-3000] Lazy strings (was Re: Py3k release schedule worries)

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Fri Jan 12 22:12:52 CET 2007

  Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Changing the API is the only reasonable solution amongst all the
> options I've seen.
I defer to you.  Perhaps another approach will surface; in the meantime
I'll start on the API change.

You suggested changing the name as a reminder of the semantics change.
Are you interested in a structural change too?  My personal aesthetic
for APIs is to return success/failure separately from output
parameters.  So I propose something this:
    #define PyUnicode_VALUE(self, p, len)
which would return nonzero on success and zero on failure.  If it fails,
p and len would be unchanged.

Let me know what you'd like and I'll make it happen.

Cheers,

/larry/