[Python-3000] Exceptions internals and removing sys.exc_*

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Jan 22 16:25:25 CET 2007

At 06:43 PM 1/21/2007 -0800, Brett Cannon wrote:
>But when something as obvious as moving
>the traceback to exceptions presents itself and it means that another
>way becomes antiquated we should take the chance to ditch the old way
>so we don't have this weird situation of supporting both and old way
>we discourage and a new way that we are pushing.

How will this affect the __exit__ signature for context managers, which is
defined in sys.exc_info() terms?  Also, WSGI defines certain
exception-handling parameters in terms of sys.exc_info().

In fact, many APIs define things in terms of sys.exc_info() tuples.  That
doesn't mean they have to come from sys.exc_info(), of course, but these
APIs are defined that way based on a standard feature of the langauge.  So,
documenting them may be more awkward.

Will we also be dropping three-argument "raise"?