[Python-3000] simplifying the exception mechanism

Collin Winter collinw at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 23:26:28 CET 2007

On 1/22/07, tomer filiba <tomerfiliba at gmail.com> wrote:
> with all the talk about enhancing exceptions and removing unnecessary
> functions from the codebase, i think we can also drop
> PyErr_NormalizeException and friends.

One argument in favor of keeping PyErr_NormalizeException() (as I've
learned from trying to rip it out) is the speed advantage it brings.
It's less expensive to sock away the exception class and arguments,
only instancing the exception when you really need it. This is
important in certain core types, where light(er)-weight exception
raising comes in handy.

Collin Winter