[Python-3000] pep 3124 plans

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Jul 21 17:21:54 CEST 2007

On 7/20/07, Talin <talin at acm.org> wrote:
> On the issue of method combination, aspects, and interfaces: Guido has
> not made a pronouncement on whether these things may or may not be
> accepted at some time in the future. What he has said is that he doesn't
> *yet* understand the use case for them, and that these should be
> separate PEPs so that we can argue their merits independently. What he's
> strongly against (if my understanding is correct) is a "package deal"
> where he is forced to accept all of the features, or none.

I'm mellowing out on this a bit -- I'm no longer requesting a separate
PEP with all the advanced features (I understand Phillip's argument
that that second PEP will just be an easy rejection target). I do want
to understand the motivation and implementation for each of the
advanced features, so we can have a reasonable discussion about
whether a particular feature is really worth adding or can easily be
added later by/for the few users who really need it.

> It seems to me that PEPs should only be required to explain their
> mechanisms if there's some doubt or controversy about the
> implementation.

But referring to my sandbox/overloading implementation is *not*
acceptable; I want whatever that does (not much) spelled out in the
PEP for posterity.