[Python-3000] optimizing [x]range

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sun Jul 29 14:18:49 CEST 2007

    Johan> FWIW, I'd say yes; I sometimes find it a bit difficult to
    Johan> remember how the operator should be placed, there are several
    Johan> possible ways of making a mistake, eg;

    Johan>    a > x < b
    Johan>    a < x > b
    Johan>    a < x < b
    Johan>    a > x > b

If the two angles face the same way it's correct.  It's hard to see how it
could be any other way.

    Johan> Now, the range syntax seems a bit strange at first, but I find it easier
    Johan> to parse:

    Johan>    if x in range(a, b)

You can't spell

    a <= x <= b

or

    a < x < b

without remembering to add or subtract 1 from the appropriate endpoint

    if x in range(a, b+1)
    if x in range(a-1, b)

That would seem to me to be more error-prone than confusion about

    a < x < b

Skip