[Python-3000] example Python code under PEP 3131?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Jun 4 03:29:29 CEST 2007

Steve Howell writes:

 >   2) Japanese student using Japanese identifiers and
 > English reserved words (re, search, match, print,
 > etc.).

I don't have time to cook up something in Python, but I can give an
example of working code in Lisp:
<http://cvs.xemacs.org/viewcvs.cgi/XEmacs/packages/mule-packages/edict/edict-japanese.el?rev=1.4&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup>

You probably already know enough Lisp to read this, but if not, here
are a few hints.  `define-edict-rule' is a factory function, not part
of the Lisp language.  Comments are prefixed by ";" and run to the end
of the line.  Strings are delimited by '"' and may contain newlines.
Pretty much everything else that is not punctuation is an identifier.
"-" may be embedded in an identifier.

Note that the rest of the application contains Japanese only in
comments.  This section deals with de-inflection of Japanese words
(ie, deducing dictionary form from words that occur in natural text),
and thus needs concepts not available in English, or where available,
the English word would not make sense to a Japanese.

BTW, I don't know whether the breakage is in ViewCVS, FireFox, or
both, but several places in the file result in confusion of content
and HTML markup, with more-or-less amusing results.