[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Michael Urman murman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 15:04:58 CEST 2007

On 6/4/07, Ka-Ping Yee <python at zesty.ca> wrote:
> Many of us value a *predictable* identifier character set.
> Whether "predictable" means ASCII only, or user-selectable, or
> restricted by default, I think we all agree in this sentiment:

As someone who would rather see non-ASCII characters gain even ground,
even I agree with that sentiment. The rest of your message - stressing
that we should make things easier to understand and the importance of
source code - strikes a very strong chord with me. However to me it
sounds like an argument to allow Unicode identifiers, not one to
prevent them.

I think that's the biggest problem with this exchange. We have similar
goals but disagree about which option does a better job fulfilling
those goals. All the rhetoric from all sides about why the shared
goals are good won't convince anyone of anything new.

The arguments then feel reduced to "Unicode enhances readability" vs.
"Unicode impedes readability" and since clearly it does both, how do
we make the value judgement about which it does more? How do we weigh
the ability to use native language identifiers against the risk that
there will be visually indistinguishable differences introduced?

Michael
--
Michael Urman