[Python-3000] PEP 3131 roundup

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jun 5 09:54:30 CEST 2007

> 1) My first proposal is that someone - one of the PEP 3131 advocates
> probably - create a set of patches, or possibly a branch, that
> implements unicode identifiers in whatever manner they think is
> appropriate. Write some actual code instead of just talking about it.

I'm working on that. I want to base it on the py3k-struni branch,
where identifiers need to become Unicode (string) objects first
before this can be implemented.

Completing that will likely take several weeks.

> These same PEP 3131 advocates should also distribute precompiled
> packages containing the upython interpreter. For simplicity, it is OK to
> assume that regular Python is already installed as a prerequisite.

That will likely not work, as the 3k interpreter likely will break with
a 2.x installation.

> Once upython becomes available to the public, it will be the goal of the
> 3131 advocates to get widespread adoption of upython. If there is much
> adoption, then that makes a strong argument for merging those features
> into regular python. On the other hand, if there is little adoption,
> then that's an argument to either maintain it as a fork, or drop it
> altogether.

That really isn't necessary. The PEP is already approved, so the feature
will be implemented in Python 3.

Regards,
Martin