[Python-3000] PEP: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Jun 7 03:38:07 CEST 2007

Jim Jewett wrote:
> Since we don't want the results of (str1 == str2) to change based on
> context, I think string equality also needs to look at canonicalized
> (though probably not compatibility) forms.

Are you suggesting that this should be done on the fly
when comparing strings? Or that all strings should be
stored in canonicalised form?

I can see some big cans of worms being opened up by
either approach. Surprising results could include
things like s1 == s2 but len(s1) <> len(s2), or
len(s1 + s2) <> len(s1) + len(s2).

University of Canterbury,	   | Carpe post meridiem!          	  |
Christchurch, New Zealand	   | (I'm not a morning person.)          |