[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jun 8 22:41:31 CEST 2007

> This keeps getting characterized as only a security argument, but
> it's much deeper; it's a basic code comprehension issue.

Despite you repeating this over and over, I still honestly, sincerely
do not understand the concern. You might be technically correct,
but I feel that the cases where these issues could really arise
in practice are so obscure that I can safely ignore them.

More specifically:

> Python will lose the ability to make a reliable round trip
> between a computer file and any human-accessible medium
> such as a visual display or a printed page.

Practically, this is just not true. *Of course* you will be
able to type in a piece of Python code written on a paper,
provided you understand the natural language that the
identifiers use. That the glyphs might be ambiguous is
not an issue at all. What could really stop you from typing
in the code is that you don't know how to type the
characters, however I don't see that as a problem, either -
I rarely need to type in code from a piece of paper,
anyway, and only ever do so when I understand what the
code does (so I likely don't type it in *literally*).

> The Python language will become too large for any single
> person to fully know

Again, practically, this is not true. We both know what
PEP 3131 says about identifiers: they start with a letter,
followed by letters and digits. I fully well know the
entire language. The fact that I cannot enumerate all
letters doesn't bother me to the slightest.

> Python programs that reuse other Python modules may come
> to contain a mix of character sets such that no one can
> fully read them or properly display them.

We will see. I find that unlikely to happen (although
not entirely impossible).

> Unicode is young and unfinished.

I commented on this earlier already: this is non-sense.
Unicode is as old as Python (so perhaps Python is also
young and unfinished).

Regards,
Martin