[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jun 10 11:00:17 CEST 2007

> Here is what I have to say (to everyone in this discussion, not
> specifically to you, Stephen) in response to said labelling:

Interestingly enough, we agree on the principles, and just
judge the PEP differently wrt. these principles

> Many of us value a *predictable* identifier character set.
> Whether "predictable" means ASCII only, or user-selectable, or
> restricted by default, I think we all agree in this sentiment:

Indeed, PEP 3131 gives a predictable identifier character set.
Adding per-site options to change the set of allowable characters
makes it less predictable.

> We believe that we should try to make it easier, not harder, for
> programmers to understand what Python code says.  This has many
> benefits (reliability, readability, transparency, reviewability,
> debuggability).  I consider these core strengths of Python.

Indeed. That was my primary motivation for the PEP: to make
it easier for programmers to understand Python, and to allow
people to write more transparent programs.

> That is what makes these strengths so important.  I hope this
> helps you understand why these concerns can't and shouldn't be
> brushed off as "paranoia" -- this really has to do with the
> core values of the language.

It just seems that the concerns don't directly follow from
the principles. Something else has to be added to make that
conclusion. It may not be paranoia (i.e. excessive anxiety),
but there surely is some fear, no?

Regards,
Martin