[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 01:21:33 CEST 2007

--- James Y Knight <foom at fuhm.net> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure the answer is still going to
> be the second: I'd
> rather a program written in Chinese use Chinese
> characters, rather
> than a transliteration of Chinese into ASCII.
> because it is actually
> feasible for me to do automatic translation of
> Chinese into something
> resembling English. And of course, that's even more
> true when talking
> about a language like French, which uses an alphabet
> quite familiar
> to me, but yet online translators still fail to
> function if it's been
> transliterated into ASCII.

This was exactly my experience with translating the
German program Martin posted a while back.  I used
Babelfish to translate it to English, and the one word
that I didn't translate properly was a word with an
umlaut.  (It was my own error not to use the umlaut
when looking up the translation; Martin's program did
include the umlaut, and once I was clued in to the
errors of my ways, I went back to babelfish with the
umlaut and I got the exact translation I was looking
for.)