[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 06:27:29 CEST 2007

--- "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Unfortunately, teachers don't participate
> in python-3000, as don't many other Python users.
> So it's unlikely that you find a teacher posting
> *here*, it was pure luck that I found a Chinese
> teacher posting on comp.lang.python. You would
> need to go to places where teachers discuss
> in the internet, which likely isn't even Usenet.
> Not being a (high school) teacher myself, I don't
> know how to find them.

In high schools? :)

Seriously, that's where you find high school teachers.

I've been in high school environments where Python is
being taught, and that's why I'm a little skeptical
that folks arguing on either side of this argument are
maybe a bit too much in the ivory tower, and not
enough dealing with actual use cases.

The Chinese teacher that you mention made some
interesting points in his posts, and I take his
advocacy for PEP 3131 very seriously, but I think he
would actually be well served using a language more
suitable for educational purposes than Python.  I have
experience with using a learning language in the
classroom, and it was very positive for students.