[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 16:09:25 CEST 2007

On 6/10/07, Leonardo Santagada <santagada at gmail.com> wrote:

> We are all consenting
> adults and we know that we should code in english if we want our code
> to be used and to be a first class citizen of the open source world.

I have no objection to Open Source being written in Chinese.

My objection is to not knowing which file a script is using.

Think of it like the coding directive.

Once upon a time, if you didn't have a coding directive, but used
characters outside of ASCII, the results were system-dependent.  It
didn't cause much of a problem, because most people stuck to ASCII,
and the exceptions mostly stuck to characters that were common across
codesets.  Still, it was better to be explicit.

I want an explicit notice of which scripts are being used.  I'll
settle for an explicit choice of which scripts can be used, so that I
can just exclude the ones I wasn't expecting.

This doesn't fully cover the malicious (or careless) user case, but it
gives me the tools to set my own ease-of-use tradeoffs between "it
just runs" and "it does what I think it does".

-jJ