[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 04:01:43 CEST 2007

--- Jim Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/12/07, Steve Howell <showell30 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > In my best franglais: je pense que les avocats de
> PEP
> > 3131 pourrait surmonter la doute, l'incertitude,
> le
> > crainte, etc., de PEP 3131 en montrant les
> exemples.
>
> Not really;  I think everyone agrees that you *can*
> produce
> well-written code with non-ASCII identifiers.
>
> The concerns are with not-so-well written code, or
> code that is mostly
> ASCII with a few non-ASCII characters (or ids)
> thrown in around line
> 343.

But then I would extend the same challenge to you.

Post a piece of code that follows the pattern that you
predict, and then see if the actual example of
not-so-well-written, non-ASCII-pure code can resonate
in the minds of folks who aren't able to imagine the
validity of your points without an example in front of
them.

I know that Ping has produced one example of deceptive
non-ASCII-pure code, but it didn't really sway me,
even though I've been basically sympatethic to his
overall conservatism about either keeping ASCII purity
or introducing Unicode only with some proper
safeguards.