[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] Python 3000 Status Update (Long!)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 13:57:44 CEST 2007

Georg Brandl wrote:
> Guido van Rossum schrieb:
>> I've written up a comprehensive status report on Python 3000. Please read:
>>
>> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=208549
>
> Thank you! Now I have something to show to interested people except "read
> the PEPs".
>
> A minuscule nit: the rot13 codec has no library equivalent, so it won't be
> supported anymore :)

Given that there are valid use cases for bytes-to-bytes translations,
and a common API for them would be nice, does it make sense to have an
additional category of codec that is invoked via specific recoding
methods on bytes objects? For example:

   encoded = data.encode_bytes('bz2')
   decoded = encoded.decode_bytes('bz2')
   assert data == decoded