[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] Python 3000 Status Update (Long!)

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Tue Jun 19 14:40:57 CEST 2007

Georg Brandl wrote:
> Nick Coghlan schrieb:
>> Georg Brandl wrote:

>>> Thank you! Now I have something to show to interested people except "read
>>> the PEPs".
>>>
>>> A minuscule nit: the rot13 codec has no library equivalent, so it won't be
>>> supported anymore :)
>> Given that there are valid use cases for bytes-to-bytes translations,
>> and a common API for them would be nice, does it make sense to have an
>> additional category of codec that is invoked via specific recoding
>> methods on bytes objects? For example:
>>
>>    encoded = data.encode_bytes('bz2')
>>    decoded = encoded.decode_bytes('bz2')
>>    assert data == decoded
>
> This is exactly what I proposed a while before under the name
> bytes.transform().
>
> IMO it would make a common use pattern much more convenient and
> should be given thought.
>
> If a PEP is called for, I'd be happy to at least co-author it.

Codecs are a major exception to Guido's law: Never have a parameter
whose value switches between completely unrelated algorithms.

Why don't we put all string transformation functions into a common
module (the string module might be a good place):

>>> import string
>>> string.rot13('abc')

Servus,
   Walter