[Python-3000] Python 3000 Status Update (Long!)

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Tue Jun 19 19:51:15 CEST 2007

> > Shouldn't "reduce" stay in the 'built-in' space, while the other two
> > move to "functools"?  Or move them all to "functools"?  Bizarre
> > recombination, IMO.
>
> Arguing from the standpoint of purity, that, "these functions are
> builtins, why not this other one" isn't going to get you very far.

If you think that's what I was arguing, you'd better re-read that
message.

Though, from the standpoint of pragmatism, removing "reduce" from the
built-in space will break code (*my* code, among others), and leaving
it in will not affect "purity", as both "map" and "reduce" are being
left in.  So leaving it alone seems the more Pythonic response to me.

Guido's argument
(http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=98196) is that
"any" and "all" (and "filter", of course) are better ways to do the
same thing.  I'm not sure, but it's an interesting hypothesis.  But
while we run the experiment, why not leave "reduce" where it is?

Bill