[Python-3000] How best to handle failing tests in struni?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Jun 19 23:13:56 CEST 2007

After reading Guido's blog post and noticing his comment about lack of
delegation, I decided to delegate to myself a look at struni and what
tests were failing (which turned out to be a lot).

I just started at the beginning and so that meant looking at
test_anydbm.  That's failing because _bsddb.c requires PyInt_Check or
PyString_Check to pass for keys.  That doesn't work in a world where
string constants are all Unicode.  =)

So, my question is how best to handle this test (and thus other tests
like it).  Should it just continue to fail until someone fixes
_bsddb.c to accept Unicode keys (and thus start up a FAILING file
listing the various tests that are failing and doc which ones are
expected to fail until something specific changes)?  Or do we silence
the failure by making the constants pass through str8?  Or should str8
not even be used at all since (I assume) it won't survive the merge
back into p3yk?

-Brett