[Python-3000] Modules with Dual Python/C Implementations

Alexandre Vassalotti avassalotti at acm.org
Fri Mar 2 05:08:39 CET 2007

> I think a reasonable solution here is to make the C version an
> optional implementation detail of the Python version, such as was done
> for the heapq module already (the C version is _heapq and
> automatically imported by heapq.py if it exists). If this requires
> that some of the C modules need to be upgraded to be more feature
> compatible with the Python versions, so be it -- that would be a nice
> summer-of-code project for someone. Also, the specific problem with
> StringIO (that the .py version supports Unicode while the C version
> doesn't) will hopefully go away with the string unification.

I think I will jump on this opportunity, if nobody else has proposed
himself. I am not sure yet, how much coding this project will involve,
but it is certainly an interesting Summer of Code project.

I think I will try to write a PEP about the required changes, before
submitting my application. So this way, I will have a clear
understanding of the project. Also, I would appreciate it if someone
could tell me what are the skills, which the students are expected to
have, for Python core development.

Kind Regards,
-- Alexandre