[Python-3000] How far to go with cleaning up exceptions

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 02:31:38 CET 2007

Brett Cannon wrote:
> I think the slice removal is easy.  But getting rid of 'args' and
> making BaseException's constructor only take a single argument is not
> painless.  But a warning should help get this done in a reasonable
> fashion.

The exception slicing is the only thing I ever thought was particularly
odd - the rest of the current exception API has never really bothered me.

All I would suggest doing is to move the BaseException constructor
closer to PEP 352 by always setting the message attribute to
str(args[0]) rather than only doing it when the constructor is called
with a single argument.

Regards,
Nick.