[Python-3000] PEP 3113 (Removal of Tuple Parameter Unpacking)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Mar 4 20:23:40 CET 2007

> On 3/3/07, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> > On 3/3/07, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I have mixed feelings; I won't go so far as to say I oppose removing
> > > tuple-arguments, but some of the problems do have other solutions.
> >
> > Sure some of them have other solutions, but that does not mean that
> > they should be fixed just to save this feature.
>
> I see lukewarm support for keeping these at most, and probably
> lukewarm support for removing them at well. That means I get to decide
> and nobody will care much (for once :-). So my decision is to get rid
> of them.

Woohoo!  Can I go ahead and mark the PEP as accepted then?

> > > I hadn't realized that they couldn't be annotated.  That could be fixed.
>
> Actually they can be annotated. But that's no reason to keep them either. :-)

I actually meant they can't be annotated like ``def fxn((a, b):int):
pass``.  I think what Guido is thinking of is ``def fxn((a:int,
b:int)): pass`` (although that causes an assertion error:
Python/compile.c:2430: failed assertion `scope ||
PyString_AS_STRING(name)[0] == '_'').

> Though the PEP might be fixed.

I will do that right now.

-Brett