[Python-3000] PEP 3113 (Removal of Tuple Parameter Unpacking)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Mar 5 20:04:08 CET 2007

On 3/5/07, Christian Tanzer <tanzer at swing.co.at> wrote:
> FWIW, I always liked the `parameter passing is assignment` semantics
> of Python.

The parameter list is already so chock full of special cases (keyword
params, *varargs, **kwds, default values, and in Py3k required keyword
args and argument annotations) that the fiction that the parameter
list is just an assignment target is hard to take seriously. Instead,
it has become yet another special case that clutters up
implementation, documentation, and users' understanding.

This sums up my reasons for removing the features.