[Python-3000] Non-blocking I/O? (Draft PEP for New IO system)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Mar 7 09:56:17 CET 2007

Daniel Stutzbach wrote:
> An IOError makes it more clear
> that something went awry, while a ValueError typically implies that
> the operation was rejected altogether.

In the code I typically write, the IOError will get
reported to the user, who won't know why it happened
or what to do about it, and the application will
abort that operation and go on to do something else.

The ValueError will cause the application to abort
altogether and produce a traceback, which is as it
should be, since there's a bug.

In either case, it doesn't really matter whether
something was written or not, as the whole operation
is screwed anyway.

--
Greg