[Python-3000] generics [was: Discussions with no PEPs]

Tony Lownds tony at PageDNA.com
Sat Mar 10 01:10:06 CET 2007

On Mar 9, 2007, at 2:35 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 3/9/07, Tony Lownds <tony at pagedna.com> wrote:
>> With tuple parameters removed, there would still be divergence in
>> 2.X.
>
> But not much; we could drop the annotation feature for tuple
> parameters (since it won't survive in 3.0) and warn about tuple params
> if the -Wpy3k flag is given.

That would work

>> By the way, I would like to work on either removing tuple parameters
>> in 3.0
>
> That would be great!

Ok

>> or fixing the assertion failure currently in CVS.
>
> Perhaps you should switch to SVN? :-)

Heh, clearly I am behind the times. I should switch to Mercurial
to get ahead of the curve.

> More seriously, what assertion failure?

This one, noted recently by Brett:

 >>> def f((a: int, b: int)): pass
python: Python/compile.c:2430: compiler_nameop: Assertion `scope ||
(((PyStringObject *)(name))->ob_sval)[0] == '_'' failed.
Abort (core dumped)

It's moot with tuple parameters removed.

-Tony

ps. sorry for the duplicate.