[Python-3000] Proposed changes to PEP3101 advanced string formatting -- please discuss and vote!

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 07:20:52 CET 2007

On 3/14/07, Talin <talin at acm.org> wrote:
> Then I would call that 'somestring'.expand(), or perhaps 'substitute' or
> 'interpolate' - implying that you are doing an expansion of the named
> fields within the current scope.

'expand' isn't bad.  On the one hand, I really would like the ability
to do automatic locals() and globals() lookup, but on the other hand,
I'm not personally so much hung up on the amount of typing as I am on
the esthetics, so to me,

import string
string.expand('somestring')

would be equally as appealing as having a string expand method, and
would probably be more difficult for someone to do accidentally.

Pat