[Python-3000] Fwd: Re: Octal

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Wed Mar 14 21:48:58 CET 2007

On 3/14/07, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:

> - In 3.0, we don't want an exception.

Eh, no, you might not want one, but I most assuredly do want an exception.
Having formerly-octal literals suddenly give wrong results would be much
more of a stumbling block than having them in the first place, especially
considering we forgot to change all the other languages out there. An
exception can make the difference between '0t60' and '60' clear in a single
message, not to mention refuse the temptation to guess.

Maybe, *maybe*, after Python is in general use for a couple of years we
could remove that exception (although I would keep it a warning, myself.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!