[Python-3000] Py3.0 impacts on Py2.6

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Wed Mar 14 23:41:47 CET 2007

>> I would like to additionally address the idea of "fixing" things
>> with a -py3k flag.  Many (most) Python programmers will not migrate
>> all of their stuff to 3.0 overnight . . .

After hearing Guido's talk at PyCon, ISTM that Py3.0 will be accepted
widely and gracefully on its own merits. However, I sense in this forum
a strong inclination to hedge bets by monkeying with Py2.6 in ways
that go beyond the -py3k flag or backporting compatible new features.

It is important to not delude ourselves about the role of Py2.6.
We don't get to decide that -- the users do.  We all know, it is a
big deal for a shop to migrate from 2.5 to 2.6 (reloading/rebuilding
third-party and homegrown modules/extension, suppressing/addressing
warnings, code updates, etc).  Accordingly, users will NOT upgrade
unless Py2.6 is BETTER than Py2.5.

In our shop, if Py2.6 is slower or is just a pile of deprecations
and warnings, then we will likely limit the upgrade to just a single
person who can use it as tool to transition our code and third-party
tools to Py3.0 when the time comes.  The rest of the shop will go
straight from Py2.5 to Py3.0 unless Py2.6 shows some compelling
advantage over what we have now.  If Py2.6 is to be accepted, it
needs improvements, not second-class status as a stepping stone.
It should be the best of the 2.x series, not a dumping ground for
transitional stuff; otherwise, why bother with it at all?

Raymond