[Python-3000] Octal

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 03:41:58 CET 2007

On 3/14/07, Jeff Bauer <jbauer at rubic.com> wrote:
> > 3) If this is a huge mistake, we can easily fix it before 2017.
>
> Agreed that it's easier to fix than something like
> integer division, but it would be nice to address
> in 2to3 (when there's already some understanding of
> backward incompatibility) than in 3.0 -> 3.1.

Maybe I'm missing something.  2to3 needs to insert 't' after leading
zeros for octal.  My point was that (I believe) that being more
permissive (removing the syntax error) later is an easy fix.  There is
no need for a conversion tool when things that you didn't used to be
able to do start working.

The only issue would be if somebody wrote code that DEPENDED on x =
042 raising a SyntaxError.  I suppose somebody could do this, but I
can't work up the energy to care if their code is broken later...

Regards,
Pat