[Python-3000] Octal

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 03:51:28 CET 2007

On 3/15/07, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> What would you use for digits in bases higher
> than 36? Most of the ASCII punctuation is already
> taken... start plundering unicode for more
> alphabets?

I'm not suggesting that the number of supported bases should grow AT
ALL.  What I am suggesting is that it is obviously very tempting,
since it is easy to do, to support bases up to 36.

The PEP I am working on will recommend that we not remove this
capability from int(string, base) because that might be gratuitous
breakage, but that we not give in to the same temptation for
int(string, 0) or for the language syntax.  I have not seen any real
requests for any bases other than 2, 8, 10, or 16.

Regards,
Pat