[Python-3000] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Octal

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 11:44:26 CET 2007

On 16/03/07, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> There aren't many people that write UR"WTF?" either, but odd
> capitalisation is still legal syntax that can't be ignored completely
> when making changes.
>
> Compare:
>
>   0t755 0T755
>   0o755 0O755
>   0c755 0C755
>
> 0c755 is looking like the best candidate IMO (best looking lowercase,
> least bad looking uppercase)

Rather than agonise about uppercase, which is very infrequently used,
why not just remove the option and only allow lowercase? 2to3 could
easily convert.

If capitals aren't allowed, I prefer 0o755 - justifications for any
other letter are frankly pretty thin.

Damn, I swore not to get involved in bikeshed discussions. I don't
actually use octal constants, so my opinion isn't worth much.

Paul.