[Python-3000] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Octal

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 20:54:19 CET 2007

On 3/16/07, Chris Monson <monpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
> I didn't see anyone stepping forward to write a PEP for this.  If one is
> needed, I'll volunteer to do it.

Actually, ISTM that changing all string literal special characters
("r", "e", "x", "j", etc.) is probably really a different PEP.  I've
been focusing on the rationale for having 0123 not be an octal number
yet not be a decimal number either, and on the rationale for adding
binary but not arbitrary radices, and on the rationale for choosing
"o" for octal instead of "c" or "t" or "q" or "w", yet not changing
"x" to "h", etc.

While only supporting lowercase is one of the key ideas that makes "o"
for octal acceptable, I think it's really a different focus for a
different PEP, so if you are volunteering to help, feel free to write
that up separately.

Thanks,
Pat