[Python-3000] Type __repr__

Armin Ronacher armin.ronacher at active-4.com
Sun Mar 18 20:45:50 CET 2007

Hoi,

Some time I proposed changing the type __repr__ to the import name.
While I still think this is a good idea ;-) I found a small
inconsistency in the __repr__ code of PyTypeObject. Currently the
repr checks for the Py_TPFLAGS_HEAPTYPE flag to check if it should
use "class" or "type" as name for the repr.

Now where types and classes are the same i don't think it's a good
idea to have different reprs for objects defined in python and for
objects defined in the C API.

My proposal: change the repr for all objects to "class". So
<class 'int'>, <class 'UserDefinedClass'> etc.

Regards,
Armin