[Python-3000] Question about PEP 3001 and fixing API flaws

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 05:55:28 CET 2007

On 3/21/07, BJörn Lindqvist <bjourne at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/21/07, Steven Bethard <steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/14/07, BJörn Lindqvist <bjourne at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > So I wonder what is the policy for fixing mistakes in the API design?
> >
> > In general, I think if you can warn about it in 2.6 or you can add to
> > 2to3 so that this gets automatically fixed, then it's okay to fix the
> > API.
>
> Is that the general consensus? I think I remember having read Raymond
> Hettinger complain about to many warnings in 2.6.

Well, I can't speak for Raymond, but I think much of that is supposed
to be addressed by introducing the -Wpy3k flag which will be off by
default, and which will set a C-level bit flag so that any warnings
that need to go in speed-critical locations can have as little impact
as possible.  Or at least that was the plan as I understood it.

> OK. So every API repair is a two step process? Fix the API in py3k and
> then add a warning to 2.6 and update the manual.

Yep.  You probably don't need a PEP for every one, but maybe we should
collect all (or at least as many as possible of) the minor changes in
a PEP somewhere just for reference...

STeVe
        --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy