[Python-3000] Traits/roles instead of ABCs

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Tue May 1 03:37:12 CEST 2007

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> [Collin Winter]
>> Put another way, a role is an assertion about a set of capabilities.
>  . . .
>> If there's interest in this, I could probably whip up a PEP before the deadline.
>
> +100 I'm very interested in seeing a lighter weight alternative to abc.py that:
>
> 1) is dynamic
> 2) doesn't require inheritance to work
> 3) doesn't require mucking with isinstance or other existing mechansims
> 4) makes a limited, useful set of assertions rather than broadly covering a whole API.
> 5) that leaves the notion of duck-typing as the rule rather than the exception
> 6) that doesn't freeze all of the key APIs in concrete
>
> I'm concerned that the current ABC proposal will quickly evolve from optional
> to required and create somewhat somewhat java-esque landscape where
> inheritance and full-specification are the order of the day.

+100 on Raymonds list here.

I am concerned that the effect of most of the proposals will be to encode
data as code to a greater degree.

I generally try to do the opposite.  That is, I try to make my data and
code be independent of each other so my data is complete, and my code is
usable for other things.

There are times I want to pipeline (or assembly line) data and mark it now
for later dispatching at point further down stream.  In that case being
able to temporarily and transparently attach a bit of meta data to the
object and have it ride along with the data until some later point would be
useful.  Then to have some nice general purpose dispatcher to initiate the
work at that point.

A particular use case that I'm finding occurs quite often is that of
sorting.  Not the sorting of putting things in order, but the sorting as in
mail sorters or dividing large groups into smaller sub groups.  And of
course that is a form of dispatching.  So far I haven't seen anything that
directly addresses these use cases.