[Python-3000] PEP: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Tue May 1 17:54:24 CEST 2007

On 5/1/07, Collin Winter <collinw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/1/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > Rationale
> > =========

> That makes absolutely no sense. You mean to tell me that people write
> Python without being able to understand any of the language's
> keywords, builtin functions, standard library or documentation?

If they have translations of the important documentation and the small
number of keywords -- yes, they probably do; the alternative
programming languages aren't really all that much easier for
non-English speakers.

FWIW, I've used undocumented variants of Assembler, based only on
examples.  (So no doc, didn't have a complete set of
keywords/functions/libraries, misundstood some of what I did have.)  I
won't say it was a great environment, but it did work.

-jJ