[Python-3000] PEP 3124 - Overloading, Generic Functions, Interfaces, etc.

Jason Orendorff jason.orendorff at gmail.com
Tue May 1 20:22:27 CEST 2007

On 5/1/07, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 09:13 AM 5/1/2007 -0700, Talin wrote:
> >I don't care for the idea of testing against a specially named argument.
> >Why couldn't you just have a different decorator, such as
> >"overload_chained" which triggers this behavior?
>
> The PEP lists *five* built-in decorators, all of which support this behavior::
>
>     @overload, @when, @before, @after, @around

Actually @before and @after don't support __proceeds__,
according to the first draft anyway.

I think I would prefer to *always* pass the next method
to @around methods, which always need it, and *never*
pass it to any of the others.  What use case am I missing?
The one in the PEP involves foo(bar, baz), not a very
convincing example.

-j