[Python-3000] PEP Parade

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Tue May 1 20:57:41 CEST 2007

On 5/1/07, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> So the PEP submissions are in, and a few late ones will be submitted
> ASAP. Let me write up a capsule review of what we've got. Please let
> me know if I missed anything (e.g. a PEP that someone has committed to
> write but hasn't submitted yet).

(1)  The __this_*__ PEP was written and posted; I'll revise it slightly tonight.

One benefit would be a minimal-change version of super.

(2)  Calvin's and Tim's more complete reworking of super.

(3)  final/once/name annotations -- I *think* this was dropped when
case statements were rejected, but I'm not sure.

> PEP: Eliminate __del__ (Raymond Hettinger)

> I would be in favor of this or one of the alternative ideas for fixing
> the can't-GC-a-cycle-with-__del__ issue if there was a clear recipe
> and (if necessary) stdlib support for what to do instead. There are
> real use cases for automatic finalization for which the atexit module
> isn't the right solution and try/finally or with statements don't cut
> it either.

Does the alternative need to cover 100% of use cases?

If it covers 99%, should the other 1% become impossible, or should we
keep __del__ as fallback?


More information about the Python-3000 mailing list