[Python-3000] PEP: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Wed May 2 06:42:17 CEST 2007

Leonardo Santagada wrote:
> but all of the literals on the sintax of python would be better if
> they can be on the programmers language, as what the guys from OLPC
> want.

It's not clear to me that that's what we want, actually. I think Alan
Kay mentioned that they can do this level of i18n with Squeak already,
and that will probably do quite well for the really young kids. For the
rest, I think a single set of language keywords is generally a Very Good
Thing.

Guido and others have justified not wanting to add more syntax-level
metaprogramming abilities to Python by saying that it's important for
all Python code to read as Python code, not as "Python code that might
sometimes mean something entirely different because of macros". Keyword
translation would cause a similarly ugly problem, I suspect.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D