[Python-3000] PEP: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Mark Mc Mahon mark.m.mcmahon at gmail.com
Thu May 3 17:59:42 CEST 2007

One item that I haven't seen mentioned in support of this is that
there is code that uses getattr for accessing things that might be
access other ways.

For example the Attribute access Dictionaries
if one of the keys has a non ASCII character then will not be
accessible through attribute access.
(you could say the same for punctuation - but I think they are not the
same thing).

In pywinauto I try to let people use attribute access for accessing
dialogs and controls of Windows applications

e.g. your_app.DialogTitle.ControlCaption.Click()

This works great for English - but for other languages people have to
use item access

Anyway, just wanted to raise that option too for consideration.

Thanks for the wonderful langauge,