[Python-3000] PEP: Eliminate __del__

Michael Bayer mike_mp at zzzcomputing.com
Sat May 5 21:46:51 CEST 2007

On May 5, 2007, at 6:12 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> The reason for initially pursuing a recipe approach for weakref
> based finalisation is that it allows time to determine whether or
> not there are better recipes than whatever is proposed in the PEP
> before casting it in the form of fixed language syntax. Adding
> syntactic sugar for a recipe is child's play compared to trying to
> get rid of syntax (or change its semantics) after discovering it is
> broken in some fashion.

if the recipe is just an interim step towards developing something
that "just works", then we agree.   obviously explicit finalization
is preferable and relying upon cpython's "immediate" GC of non-cycled
objects is a bad trap to fall into (particularly if you then run the
same code using Jython for example)...but in a garbage collected
language, the "loose ends" still need some way to clean themselves up
even if its deferred.