[Python-3000] the future of the GIL

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun May 6 11:00:45 CEST 2007

Josiah Carlson wrote:

> There are many solutions to handling the scaling of Python on multicore
> processors, only one of which is killing the GIL.  Another is Greg
> Ewing's ideas offered in the "Ideas towards GIL removal" thread in the
> python-ideas list.

Yeah, except I think only one of those would actually work
(the "permanent objects" idea). The "thread-local refcount"
idea seems to have at least one fatal flaw.

I'm now more interested in the IBM "Recycler" idea that
was mentioned. If I get a spare moment, I might have a
go at implementing a "Repycler" by means of suitable
redefinitions of Py_INCREF and Py_DECREF.

--
Greg