[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Guillaume Proux gproux+py3000 at gmail.com
Sun May 13 18:25:37 CEST 2007

Dear Tomer,

> well, i myself am a native hebrew speaker, so i'm quite sensitive
> to text-direction issues with all sorts of editors. to this day, i haven't
> seen a single editor that handles RTL/LTR transitions correctly,
> including microsoft word.

Are you talking about editor bugs? You should find a way to report the
bugs to the people in charge of development of those editors, but I
believe nothing here is python fault.

> when you start mixing LTR and RTL texts, it's asking for trouble:
> שם_משפחה = "doe"
> גיל = 5

Looks cool :)

> shem_mishpacha = "doe"
> 5 = gil   # looks reversed, but it's actually correct (!!)

> so that basically rules out using hebrew, arabic and farsi from being
> used as identifier, and the list is not complete.

You are ruling out PEP3131 because there is no good editor able to
support your language? True, for the same reason we should never have
made a Unicode standard.
If the editor is the problem, fix the editor.

> now, since not all languages can be used, why bother supporting only some?
> and if my library exposes a function with a chinese name, how would you
> be able to invoke it without a chinese keyboard?

If you don't speak chinese, i reckon the probability you will ever
(find and) use a library that would expose chinese name is 0.

Regards,

Guillaume