[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Guillaume Proux gproux+py3000 at gmail.com
Sun May 13 20:04:21 CEST 2007

HI Tomer,

> if בייקון.ביצים:
>     pass
>
> which comes first? does it say bacon.eggs or eggs.bacon?
> and what happens if the editor uses a dot prefixed by LTR
> marker? the meaning is reversed, but it still looks the same!

All that is really a *presentation* issue. And as such, an editor
specialized in editing hebrew or arabic python should help you write
the code you want to write.
However, why would you put a LTR marker here?  why try to add issues?
Also as soon as UTF-8 is accepted as the *standard* encoding, isn't
this issue the same with latin characters (not sure here, just
asking).
Additionally,would a professional programmer choose to add LTR markers
to make the source code ambiguous?

> again, if you want a hebrew-version of python, you'd also want
> hebrew semantics and hebrew syntax.
> see also http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/hpy

Yes, but let PEP3131 go forward first, as this will make it easier for
you to implement the full hebrew semantics.

> you can always translate or transliterate a word to english, like so:
> if beykon.beytzim:

Is this a bijective translation ?  How good is most people latin
character reading ability among Hebrew speakers? From the beginning, I
can tell from experience that Japanese people have great difficulties
in reading english or even transliterated japanese (which is never
good anyway because of homonyms)

> you'd be surprised how many times i scanned through
> japanese/chinese forums with an online translator, looking
> for documentation or cheaper products :)

I am happy to see your open minded spirit. Keep this open minded
spirit when evaluating the PEP3131  :)

Regards,

Guillaume