[Python-3000] PEP 3124 - Overloading, Generic Functions, Interfaces, etc.

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon May 14 16:00:45 CEST 2007

On 11/05/07, Neal Norwitz <nnorwitz at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/11/07, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hmm. My view is that it *is* simple to explain, but unfortunately
> > Phillip's explanation in the PEP is not that simple explanation :-(
>
> [snip]
>
> > I would argue that the PEP could be *very* simple if it restricted
> > itself to the basic idea.
>
> Could you write up the simple version that you would use instead?

I'd have liked to, but unfortunately, I haven't had the time to do so
(and I probably won't in the near future). However, it looks like
there's a general feeling emerging that snipping certain sections
would be enough. I'd agree with that - my personal feeling is that
it'd be OK to remove all of the following sections:

* "Before" and "After" Methods (as per Steven Bethard's suggestion)
* "Around" Methods (as per Steven Bethard's suggestion)
* Custom Combinations (as per Steven Bethard's suggestion)
* Interfaces and Adaptation (doesn't feel like a core aspect of the proposal)
* Aspects (as per Steven Bethard's suggestion)
* Extension API (currently empty, and that hasn't hampered the discussions!!)

I'd be OK with them going into an additional PEP, but to be honest, it
wouldn't bother me to see them left out of the PEP process
altogether[1]. (I don't feel that I have enough experience with
*using* GFs to comment meaningfully, so I'd be willing to defer to
Phillip's judgement here).

Paul.

[1] But I'd like to see them documented in the final implementation -
I'm not suggesting they be undocumented features.