[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

tomer filiba tomerfiliba at gmail.com
Mon May 14 21:12:48 CEST 2007

as an english-second-language programmer, i'd really like to be able
to have unicode identifiers -- but my gut feeling is -- it will open the
door for a tower of babel.

once we have chinese, french and hindi function names, i'd be very
difficult to interoperate with third party libs. imagine i wrote my
code using twisted-he, while my client has installed twisted-fr...
kaboom? so the next step would be localization files that would
map standard names to locale-specific name? and then the
interpreter would use locale-dependent importing? we'll never see
the end of that. it would just grow more and more complicated.

english, or latin at least, is sufficient for programming. allowing for
more languages effectively means the creation of small, close
communities, rather than a global one.

-1 from me.

-tomer