[Python-3000] PEP 3124 - more commentary

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue May 15 02:17:57 CEST 2007

On 5/14/07, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 03:43 PM 5/14/2007 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > > Chaining using the first argument can be implemented using a bound
> > > method object, which gets performance bonuses from the C eval loop
> > > that partial() objects don't.  (Of course, when RuleDispatch was
> > > written, partial() objects didn't exist, anyway.)
> >
> >Sounds like premature optimization to me. We can find a way to do it
> >fast later; let's first make it right.
>
> As I said, when RuleDispatch was written, partial() didn't exist; it
> was less a matter of performance there than convenience.
>

> >True. So are you working with Tim Delaney on this? Otherwise he may
> >propose a simpler mechanism that won't allow this re-use of the
> >mechanism.
>
> PEP 367 doesn't currently propose a mechanism for the actual
> assignment; I was waiting to see what was proposed, to then suggest
> as minimal a tweak or generalization as necessary.  Also, prior to
> now, you hadn't commented on the first-argument-class rule and I
> didn't know if you were going to reject it anyway.
>

> >super is going to be a keyword with magic properties. Wouldn't it be
> >great if instead of
> >
> >@when(...)
> >def flatten(x: Mapping, nm: next_method):
> >   nm(x)
> >
> >we could write
> >
> >@when(...)
> >def flatten(x: Mapping):
> >   super.flatten(x)  # or super(x)
> >
> >or some other permutation of super?
>
> Well, either we'd have to implement it using a hidden parameter, or
> give up on the possibility of the same function being added more than
> once to the same function (e.g., for both Mapping and some specific
> types).  There's no way for the code in the body of the overload to
> know in what context it was invoked.
>
> The current mechanism works by creating bound methods for each
> registration of the same function object, in each "applicability chain".
>
> That doesn't mean it's impossible, just that I haven't given the
> mechanism any thought, and at first glance it looks really hairy to
> implement -- even if it were done using a hidden parameter.
>

> >Or do you see the need to call
> >both next-method and super from the same code?
>
> Hm, that's a mind-bender.  I can't think of a sensible use case for
> that, though.  If you're a plain method, you'd just use super.  If
> you're a generic function or overloaded method, you'd just call the
> next method.
>
> The only way I can see you doing that is if you needed to call the
> super of some *other* method, which doesn't make a lot of sense.  In
> any case, we could probably use super(...) for next-method and
> super.methodname() for everything else, so I wouldn't worry about
> it.  (Which means you'd have to use super.__call__() inside of a
> __call__ method, but I think that's OK.)
>

> >Do note that e.g. in IronPython (and maybe also in Jython?)
> >exec/eval/compile are 10-50x slower (relative to the rest of the
> >system) than in CPython.

> [...]

Perhaps. Though C++ *does* have argument default values.

Other use cases that come to mind are e.g. APIs that you can pass
either a Point object or two (or three!) floats. This is not a natural
use case for argument default values, and it's not always convenient
to require the user to pass a tuple of floats (perhaps the
three-floats API already existed and its signature cannot be changed
for compatibility reasons). Or think of a networking function that
takes either a "host:port" string or a host and port pair; thinking of
this as having a default port is also slightly awkward, as you don't
know what to do when passed a "host:port" string and a port.