[Python-3000] Raw strings containing \u or \U

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu May 17 02:48:11 CEST 2007

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I'm still on the fence about the trailing backslash; I personally
> prefer to write Windows paths using regular strings and doubled
> backslashes.

Maybe we should have a special w"..." string in the Windows
version of Python for pathnames.

It would raise a SyntaxError in non-Windows Pythons, thus
discouraging people trying to use Windows pathnames in
cross-platform code. :-)

University of Canterbury,	   | Carpe post meridiem!          	  |
Christchurch, New Zealand	   | (I'm not a morning person.)          |