[Python-3000] Whither string? (was Re: python/branches/py3k-struni/Lib/test/test_strop.py)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu May 17 15:06:39 CEST 2007

On Thu, May 17, 2007, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> To be honest, I have never understood the repeated proposals to get
> rid of the string module. Get rid of the functions that are just
> duplicates of str methods, sure, but the module makes sense to me
> as a home for text related constants and other machinery (such as
> string.Template and the various building blocks for more advanced PEP
> 3101 based formatting).

The trend in support seems to be toward moving everything left that is
useful from "string" to "text", which would be a package.  Overall, I'm
+1 on that idea.  I can see arguments in favor of leaving string, but
that name just has too much baggage.

"Look, it's your affair if you want to play with five people, but don't
go calling it doubles."  --John Cleese anticipates Usenet